Thursday, December 09, 2010

I Play Tennis Little Little

OK, so playing tennis was even more hilarious than I expected. My host sister (not pictured, who is 18) and I showed up at this rec center where there was a pool and one tennis court and a lot of spectators. She told the staff that I wanted to play tennis, but then I told her that I don’t actually know how to play and that I thought we’d just hit around some balls. I need to work on my sports vocabulary in French. I narrowly escaped playing a match in front of everyone when an overzealous challenger arrived at the scene and selected an opponent of his same size and physique. But I wasn’t off the hook yet. My sister refused to play at all because, she said, she doesn’t know how. So it was decided that her friend and I would practice serving back and forth. Every other time I hit the ball it went onto the court where the competitive man couldn’t decide what language to shout in. Oh, foreigners. I just tried to make a series of apologetic faces whenever I interrupted their play. Despite being the most embarrassing thing I have done in this country, it was actually pretty fun. I just kept reassuring both girls that I’m really much better at basketball and baseball, although I hope they don’t make me prove it. Afterward we made a deal that next time we will swim in the pool instead or else my host sister has to play tennis with me.


PS- Thanks to those of you who have posted recipes!  We can't wait to try them out.  To everyone else, keep 'em coming!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Fake it 'til you make it, baby!
I love the pictures! You and your host sister are absolutely adorable. Janice

Anonymous said...

Sorry, honey, but you got you tennis playing skills from me. The picture are great. And, who cares if you're really good at it or not (well, maybe the guy on the next court), at least you know how to have a good time.
- Donna

Unknown said...

Dear Burkinabe,
As one of the finest basketball coaches in the USA I am qualified to tell you that I have seen Tana McCoull play basketball. I can tell you without reservation that it is a sight to behold. Tana McCoull's basketball skills defy description. Please do not judge her by her tennis skills alone. Wait until you see her play basketball. It's akin to poetry without words. Dean Smithe

Post a Comment