Friday, February 04, 2011

Salif's Letter to My Parents


Salif is my local counterpart and one of the nicest guys around. After public school, he learned English almost entirely by teaching himself through books. He can speak French, English and the two local languages of Jula and Toussian. His helpfulness and communication skills have made my integration so much easier. Out of the blue last week, he told me he had decided to write my parents a letter. A couple days later, he handed me this to send it to my parents and share with my friends back home:


Dear Mom and Dad!

I'm sorry, if I'll disturb you with my letter, although that it is super, I think!

As God Almighty knows every day, how to resolve His things, contrary to us, the human body. I want here to tell you to be very happy, because your children, son and daughter, are in good hands. I don't know you! Neither you to me! But with God circumstances, we shall know each other one day.

Before I continue to speak about myself, let me tell you about my country Burkina Faso. The name Burkina Faso is Moore and Dioula, two local languages of the country and mean that the country of honor men.

BF shortly one state of Africa continent. BF is situated in the middle of West Africa, limited to the northwest by Mali republic, southeast by Niger republic and the south by Ivory Coast; Ghana; Togo; and Benin republics. BF is a French colony, we speak Francais as official language, we took our independence August 5th, 1960. It's first president was: Maurice Yameogo, followed by others like General Lamisana; Saye Zerbo; Jean-Baptiste Ouedraogo; Capitaine Sankara. Actually the president is Blaise Compaore. It was during the revolutionary man Capitaine Thomas Sankara that the country took the symbolic name Burkina Faso, otherwise the name was Haute-Volta according to the French colonial. The climate of BF is tropical, it is very hot all the year round. We have two seasons:
  • dried season from October to April
  • rainy season from May to September.
BF is a poor country. Our economic based on agriculture and breeding animals as: goats, cows, horses, donkeys, hens... Products of agriculture are: meal; corn; sesame; peanut; bean... But this agriculture is only for food and not industrial at all. I've already said that BF is a poor country but were very proud to be Burkinabe, the inhabitant of Burkina Faso, because no war, no discrimination in Burkina Faso. There is only hospitality and brotherhood in Burkina Faso. Chad and Tana are here to confirm that I'm speaking to.

Then, Mom and Dad, we shall be such happy to receive your visite in Burkina Faso land. Imagine how will be your astonishment! And your Happiness!

Let's get back to the subject in hand: I'm Salif. Aged 28; Hight: 1.70 m. I went to school, but without no qualification, I was jobless and decided to work in O.N.G. which produce and sold some fruits as mangoes, oranges, cashews... It was in this case, I was chosen by my villagers, to work and to lead with Chad as he was also a good boy.

I get married and have a small daughter. My wife name: Orokia; she is still at school. Whenever and wherever I like to be with Chad, he is always sympathetic and funy!

Chad and Tana are living in Banfora district, a town situated at the south of BF. Their village is 15km from Banfora on the national road route 7 to Ivory Coast. In this village, the weither is better than the rest of the country as Ouahigouya at the north of BF. The village is at the heart of the "waterfalls area," so we have many trees, water and the greenery is all the year round.

Although the poverty, the villagers are such proud of their village because security is guaranteed. No war, no discrimination, no dangerous animals. All is better to the better of the possible world.

Chad and Tana, they are in their own country here! In BF, we've brotherhood and even "peoplehood," I tell you dear parents! For another time, I'd like to finish my letter by greeting you and the America's people. Mom and Dad, guess how will be my happiness to receive your own answer to my letter! Good-bye! See you soon! May God bless us! And I welcome you to Burkina Faso!!!

Sign:
Salif

2 comments:

Chase said...

tell salif he does a lovely sans serif

Sherry said...

That was so sweet, it almost made me cry. You can feel how much he loves his country and how much he cares about you and Tana.

Post a Comment